27.3.10

And in the Beginning there was Chaos... and Laziness

I've always been a very lazy and inconsistent person. I never finished anything I've started. I would get passionate about things, spend money, time and loose sleep, only to abandon them for no particular reason other than my faded interest. I've been through 3 different colleges and majors. I collected hobbies and failures. I was terrified I'd been destined to eternal dilettantism.
Almost two years ago, my friend Zoe (a freelance writer) told me she made herself write 500 words a day or something like that. I was shocked by such an admirable level of self discipline, and how she actually seemed to enjoy giving herself homework. Homework! Never did such a thing. Ever.

Many months have gone by, and many things have happened. Finally I understand how my friend Zoe could do it. Passion. Sounds ridiculously simple, but it's absolutely true.
I found my passion, I found a school I liked, and after surviving the first semester I'm still in love with it. I've become a workaholic, I often can't sleep because I'm thinking of the projects I'm working on and the million others I'd like to do. I forget to eat, and my social life has shriveled where before it thrived in endless nights of drinking and mindless conversations.
But guess what? I've never been happier.

I know what it means to feel lost and how hard it is to become disciplined and consistent. That's why I feel like I can offer some advice and be somewhat of an example for those who have similar stories as mine.

The blog will also allow me to keep track of my progress, so I can look back at it whenever I'm low on morale. Sometimes it's helpful to see how far you've come if you can't find the strength to keep going.

As a promise (and homework, hah!) I will post at least once a week. About the following:

  • my weekly project . I'm going to make something every week, to practice my skills. If anyone is interested I might even feature step-by-step instructions. (That's actually a wonderful idea, I would love to see other people's work!)
  • an article about an interesting designer, artist, person or website
  • a number of inspirational pictures following an arbitrary weekly theme.

I really do hope someone will find this useful, inspiring or interesting, and I will do my best to keep it so.


much love

the unoriginal girl ♥



3 comments:

  1. This is good, Unoriginal Girl, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you've really hit the sweet spot. I can't wait to read more. Your writing is interesting and honest :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you wrote is totally inspiring. Totally agree with you. Though passion is important, I do believe nothing tops self discipline and the determination to practice. Keep it up. Already a fan xoxo Patty (your classmate!)

    ReplyDelete